Football map

Football map

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Texas Longhorns

       I heard on the radio, 760 I think that the University of Texas Longhorns will be starting Garrett Gilbert again this season. I just have to say WTF! Don't get me wrong, I really like the kid. He's totally talented, and has a lot of class. He's seems like a good kid who will do what he needs to do to graduate, and show Texas in a good light. But come on, if the position was really open then the real McCoy would be starting. He went the whole spring game against the 1st Team defense(ok most of it), and had really good numbers. Plus it looked like the offense around him believed in him, and he was a lot more mobile. Something all UT quarterbacks are going to need until we sign a deeper, and better offensive line. Gilbert looked awful against the second team defense and he gets the nod????? Then again after last year, maybe the 1st team defense is just as bad as last year???????

      Honestly if this was a pro team if would think they were trying to get a higher draft pick. Maybe Applewhite, and Boise St. jr just like him better. Or maybe this is another Chris Simms/Applewhite situation where the guy with the most potential gets to play over the better player. Don't get me wrong, I am not comparing Gilbert to Sims. Chris Sims never went below .500, he just couldn't beat OU and tensed up big time in big games. Gilbert tenses up for 3 quarters against Iowa State. Then in the fourth suddenly he can throw. Just in time to barely lose another one.

      You can pay to the all the assistants you want, you can pay them more than anybody else in the country. But no Assistant can go out on the field and lead, and throw touchdown passes in clutch situations. I know i'm spoiled by Major Applewhite, Vince Young and Colt McCoy. But that doesn't bling me to the fact that the current guy just isn't getting it done. I hope I am wrong. Maybe Gilbert will spend the whole summer working out will all his receivers, like the great ones did. Maybe Gilbert was waiting for his ship to come in from Brownwood, Jordan Shipleys litte bro. Who Jordan claims is better than he was. I don't know, but i'm not getting my hopes up. Just remember all those of you who get down. If God wasn't a Longhorn fan, then why is the sunset burnt orange. :) Please let me know what you have to say on the matter.

1 comment:

  1. The Longhorns are my favorite team. They should have strategized better when McCoy was there. Gilbert has a lot of potential, but doesn't put it to use.

    ReplyDelete